Monday, September 8, 2014

The Sacrifice of Kids

My dearest Family!

It was such a great week. Mostly because of the baptism of Ben and Lani and so that is where we will end. It was week 6 of the transfer this passed week which meant Elder Shields last week in the mission (The departing missionaries left for Tacloban earlier today). We had a Devotional last night with the Group due to the departure of E. Shields and my anticipated transfer. It was great. I love these people so much and they have so much potential. I refer often to Mosiah 18 with them and how they have the same potential to more than double in size over the next two years. It was a neat experience last night to participate in that devotional and really see in a sense what has happened over these past seven months. I would love to return to that place again when they have a real chapel.

Elder S. and Elder Nu. have an investigator right now that is pretty difficult. I forgot what her religion is but she is very concerned about the Law of Moses or something like that, and so somehow the Feast of the Passover came up in their lesson and Elder N. went to the Bible Dictionary for reference. Included in the sacrifices of this feast is a kid. I don't know what was going through his head but Elder N. didn't know that a kid is really a baby goat and so he told their investigator that they sacrificed a little boy or a bata nga lalaki. We got a good laugh out of that one. He will never live it down. 

The Baptism was near perfect. B. and L. were baptized along with Sister J. who is the other Elders' investigator. We planned it, as you can see in the pictures so that the baptism would take place at sunset. What you can't see in the pictures is the Moon on the other side. It was a gorgeous scene and evidence that God was indeed present at this baptism in all his majesty. I have worked for 7 months for this day. I am so grateful for the influence the spirit has had in their lives. I see it time and time again. This Gospel changes lives and three more souls have now entered in at the gate that is headed towards exaltation. As I confirmed Brother B. I blessed him that him and L. would be able to progress in the Gospel and prepare to enter the temple. 

I know this Church is true. To finish off the day on Saturday we crossed paths with Pastor W. (we don't talk to him any more than we have to). He had a lot to say and as usual we listened, didn't argue and tried to promote understanding. He is so close and has good beliefs but he can't seem to understand us. Anti-mormon Doctrine is a hobby of his. At the end, being prompted by the spirit, I told him that I wasn't perfect and still have a lot of things to learn but that I would like to share my testimony to him and I did. Words can't describe this experience but I felt as if I were on fire. I testified to him of the truthfulness of the Restored Gospel and of the Truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. I bore testimony that this Gospel is a plan of Happiness and that I am happier than I have ever been. I told him that if he would quit being a liar in his heart and read the Book of Mormon sincerely he could know too. I'm not sure his hardened state allowed him to feel the spirit from what I said but if anything, I bore testimony for Elder D. I bore testimony to defend my Faith. And I bore testimony in the Name of Jesus Christ that my words might stand as a testimony against him at the last day. I was almost shocked as I walked away still unsure of what I just said but knowing with every fiber of my being that this Church is True. That Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God and that The Book of Mormon is the word of God.

I love you all so much. Next week I may be emailing from a different area but we'll see. Keep the faith and may peace be the journey!

Love Elder Lowe

No comments:

Post a Comment