Monday, April 28, 2014

April 28, 2014


Dearest Family,
It's Hot. I'm not really sure what the temperature is but it's been really hot this week. Sometimes it's hard to sleep which makes for some good star gazing at 2 am until you get eaten by mosquitoes and then still can't sleep because you have a bunch of mosquito bites. On the bright side, I washed my sheets last week and so they don't stink anymore but actually smell really good (Don't ask how long it's been since I washed them last). Our water is pumped into a tour and so when the sun hits it, the water heats up and in the very moment a cold shower is the only thing you desire, you get a hot one instead. I was grateful though because it's been a long time since I've had a hot shower. I love this place though. My kabahays (roommates) are amazing, Elder F. is getting the hang of things and the L's are like family. Brother L. has taught me so much. He is one of the smartest men I know. I am happy. I am content with where I am, and confident in where I am going. I read a talk last week about the being the "Fourth Missionary." It's by Lawrence E Corbridge. It talks about Four types of missionaries. The Fourth is the one that submits all. Consecrates all. In the end, the way of the Fourth missionary is the easiest. The fourth missionary truly lets the Lord mold them. This has been my goal this past week. To submit completely. Be Obedient and work hard and efficient, earnestly striving to improve and then the Lord does the rest. The Language is improving and I feel the Lord working through me more and more as I improve in all aspects.
We met a family this week. The La's family (Sister B. and Brother T. and their grandson I.). was a referral from the B.  family. They are great. Their son was most likely killed but they haven't yet recovered the body and they are super interested in the Church. As we taught them for the first time we were talking about our purpose we were able to give them comfort about their son. Our first time teaching was actually our second time talking to them and we had give them a Plan of Salvation pamphlet. Sister B. was very impressed that we are serving for our Church at such a young age. She asked a little more about what we do and why we're here and we shared Mosiah 28:3 with her. I told her that we are here for their salvation. Brother T.  is still thinking but Sister B. will be baptized at the end of may or beginning of June hopefully.
B. and L. have been super busy and so we have had to push their baptism back a little bit. They are still doing super well though. They fish together for a living and so when they are out on the Ocean fishing, while they wait for the nets to fill they read from the Book of Mormon! I was so excited when they told us that. I can't wait for them to be baptized.
Sister M. is doing well also, despite persecution she continues to investigate although she is not quite ready to be baptized. We will continue to work with her. Please continue to pray for her and that her neighbors and relatives will soften their hearts that they might be convinced of the wicked traditions of their fathers that they might escape the chains of Satan which trap them in darkness. Some of the things that they have said to her break my heart. People can say whatever they want to us and it's whatever and I may not even understand. But when people persecute my investigators, my patience is tried a little more. I know that it will strengthen her though if she will make the decision to be baptized. There is power in prayer. And the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion.
I love you all so much. Thanks for your emails. Thanks for your love and support. I feel your prayers. Keep the faith and may peace be the journey. Never pass up an opportunity to share the Gospel.
Love Elder Lowe
D&C84:88

This is a photo with Elder Banks, General Authority Emeritus, who went over to Leyte and Samar after the Typhoon Haiyan (Yolonda.) He spent three months touring the mission, inspecting missionary apartments and approving living conditions for the elders and sisters to return. He saw every elder and sister to their new apartments as they returned to the Tacloban Mission. He's 82 years old and spent three months of 14 hour days, six days and over 12,000 miles from one end of the mission to the next. He spent two hours with families of missionaries from the Tacloban Mission in a special fireside this evening (4/27/2014), sharing his experiences and showing pictures from his travels. Although he is "Emeritus" Status, he's still a special witness of Jesus Christ and share a powerful testimony of the Savior's love for each and everyone of us. -Gordon Lowe

 

No comments:

Post a Comment