Monday, January 13, 2014

As we are to become... 1/13/2014

Dear Family!

Well It's been another good week in the mission field. However, we weren't able to teach a lot of lessons, I guess everyone is getting back to work after the holidays. With that being said, I don't really have a lot of amazing stories but I do have a few and some thoughts as well.

We had exchanges this past week. I went to the Elder Remalano's area (district leader) and spent Thursday working with him. The way they do exchanges here is we start the night before. So we all met up Wednesday night and switched and I spent the night at Elder Remalano's apartment with him and the Zone leaders who live there also. We had a good day of work and I learned some good things. One of the investigators we taught made a comment similar to dads that I have come a long way to share this and she mentioned that she was so lucky.  Elder Remalano is a good leader and teacher and has taught me a lot. One of the things he told me I needed to improve was listening, which is true. Maybe it would be easier if I could understand the language better but that is coming as well. It's amazing how much energy I spend just processing the language everyday. It's hard because I can understand what they say but it's another thing understanding what they mean, if that makes sense. 
The next day Elder Villa and I were teaching a lesson to some potential investigators that we met a few days earlier and this lady asked about Mormon; who he was and why we were named after him. So I started to answer the question but because I didn't completely understand I started explaining the Book of Mormon instead of directly answering the question. It turned out alright I guess but Elder Villa was kind of upset with me and that was discouraging but I couldn't really blame him either. It's really just been that same struggle but again and again I have to remind myself that the language of the Spirit is the most important. I have also been received comforting revelation that I just need to be patient. And I know that is true, maybe it would be easier if I could see myself as I am to become but I know that God really does see me as I am to become and if I strive to be exactly obedient he will ensure that I make it there. It's easy to find myself saying "if only I was fluent in the language... I could do this and this and this..." but I have to remind myself that I'm where the Lord wants me to be. Perhaps He doesn't want me doing this and this and this right now. But He wants me to keep doing what I am doing and continue striving to be better. To be honest this whole experience has been quite humbling but I am filled with hope for all I have left to experience. I came to conclusion that I can stress about learning the language or I can work my hardest to learn it, be okay with where I'm at and cut the stress. I prefer the latter. 

I can't remember how much I've told you about the A. Family but they are one of the less active families that we have been working with. I love them so much. Sister A. has started coming to church a little more though and we're trying to get Brother A. to join her. They are both so cool and have so much to give to the ward. Brother A. is a guitar hero and can play anything. They have a daughter who is a singer in South Korea and sometimes they are skyping her when we go over. We had the chance to teach just Brother A. on Saturday and we made some good progress. We have been reading the Book of Mormon with them and we are in Mosiah 7 right now but anyways we were teaching and we committed him to come to church again. He is hesitant because he has a problem with one of the church leaders which was really disappointing but he told us that he knew that the church was true and shared his testimony. So we know he has a testimony, it's just helping him act on it in order to become converted.

Elder Lowe
 

No comments:

Post a Comment