Sunday, October 13, 2013

Letter 10/14/2013

Dear Family,

Another week come and gone in the mission field. It isn't with out it's difficulties and discouragements but I am getting into the groove and I am so happy, I'll start at the beginning of my week and then I'll finish off with general conference.
We have been visiting a less-active and his girl friend. The lessons are really good and the spirit is strong but they need fellowship from the ward. They even said to us that they love our company but we won't be here forever. They want to come back but I think they feel ashamed and well I think what Dad said characterizes it perfectly, they don't want to go back and have someone ask what they are doing there. We continue to work with them but sometimes it takes time and patience. Less actives and investigators a like, we have a few who have a desire but don't want to make commitments and it just takes patience and persistence. We are told in the mission to be persistent but not overbearing.
Another less-active we have been visiting who is lacking in faith and in income. We went to visit him and he was taking off part of his roof that was made of tin sheets so that he could sell the scrap metal in order to feed his family. The situation was quite heart breaking. Who needs food stamps right? Its situations like these where we can find comfort in 3 nephi13:30-34. God will provide a way. Great are the mansions above for those who are faithful on earth no matter their circumstances.
Brother L. and Sister A. are doing very well. Thank you for the prayers. We have taught everything and just have a few more commitments to extend from lesson 4. They are so close. Sister A. wants to finish the Book of Mormon before she commits to a date and Brother L. just has a lot of questions which is good but kind of disconcerting at the same time. We taught them about temples this week which was really cool. It's kind of a hard lesson to teach because you have to be careful, but it was really neat and I hope and pray that they both can go to the temple one day. Neither were able to go to General Conference though which was sad but we will continue to work with them this week. 

I loved all of General Conference. The Church stands ever firm in the faith and the brethren are Bold, yet eloquent as ever. Sin will always be sin. The doctrines of this gospel will never change. We are all called to the work. There were so many themes that were present in this conference. I loved how much charity  and love was mentioned. My favorite parts were actually in the music. On Saturday night we taught Brother L. and read Mosiah 2 in relation to conference and he was curious about how the prophet is selected and how we know it is the right decision. I explained as well as I could the process of the brethren meeting and receiving revelation and that he could know if he would attend and pray about the words which were spoken. Unfortunatly he wasn't able to come but if I didn't know Thomas S. Monson was a prophet before that lesson, I know after. I can't describe the experience in words that occured as I testified of Thomas S. Monson but I know he is a Prophet of God more so than I ever before have. And as I watched conference the next day and listened to President Monson speak my testimony was confirmed and I couldn't help but shed a few tears as the Choir sang "We thank thee oh God for a Prophet" following his remarks. I also loved singing Called to Serve in the Afternoon session Sunday. I am so grateful to be a serving in the Lords vineyard as a Missionary. I love all of you and am grateful for your love and support. Continue living life to the fullest and serve at every opportunity.
Keep the faith and may peace be the journey
Love Elder Lowe
2 Nephi 32:3 Feast upon the words of Christ. Then Exercise.  

Oh and My companion told me that sometimes I testify in waray waray in my sleep so that's kind of cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment