Monday, August 18, 2014

I'm a nigga letter 08/18/2014

So, Libagon has 2 areas and Elder N. who is assigned to the other side is Shri Lankan and has dark skin. Well the filipino's don't know the difference between him and an african-american and so it's not uncommon to hear people say on the street, "hey N*gger!" They don't know what it means, they just hear it on TV. When he first got to this area I was the only American in our castle and so it was really funny to hear them talk about it. I explained to them that unless they want to get stabbed, they should never say that if they ever visit America. So now a few months later, I was talking to the L's daughter yesterday and she says, "I'm a nigga!" It was really just so unexpected and with her accent I just busted up laughing.

This week was amazing! The highlight of course being the baptism of Sister M. I arrived here in February and that's when we started teaching her. Now, finally 7 months later she has entered the straight and narrow path. It was a truly rewarding experience. The baptism was performed in the ocean and as you saw in the pictures the sun was setting. It was so beautiful. I'm not sure I ever want to hold a baptismal service at a Chapel ever again. M. told me when she arrived the day of her baptism that she was just happy and didn't know why. I just told her that it was the spirit testifying to her that she chose the right. Her situation is really quite difficult but she knows that this Church is true and she is at peace. I know everything will work out. 

Assuming all goes as planned, we will have a similar experience with B. and L. on the 6th of September. We also started teaching them when I got to this area and now they are ready. I love them so much. They may just as well be my grandparents. Whenever I see L. and shake her hand she always takes my hand in both of hers and just holds on. B. can teach us all of the lessons I'm pretty sure. He is super smart and I think he will be the future Stake President of Libagon Stake. 

The work is really moving consistently now here. I've been here for so long yet not long at all it seems. I walk the same streets everyday, and see the same people doing the same things they were doing the day before. Yet, every day has a new adventure in store, a new face to talk to, another soul to save, and I love it. I feel at home. It's going to be weird if I ever transfer from this place. 

I came across Enos 1:4 this past week. Do our souls hunger after righteousness and for forgiveness from sin? I truly love the scriptures and hunger after them. I am starting to understanding them more and more every day which has helped me understand why Nephi tells us to "feast" upon them. They truly do tell us all things that we should do. 

I love you all. I love hearing from you and all your adventures. Sorry to hear about Robin Williams but hopefully he will now accept the gospel in the Spirit World.
Keep the faith and may peace be the journey!

Love Elder Lowe


No comments:

Post a Comment